I used to have the very good habit of making my lunch every day: Sandwich, fruit, two cookies. Sadly, those days have gone into history now. It was a good habit, though.
Now, if I don’t remember to grab some of the always yummy leftovers we have in the fridge, I head for one of several great food choices in the neighborhood of the church. My favorites are the Chinese take-out places, of which there are four within just a few blocks, although I usually choose from one of two.
A creature of other habits (making my lunch not being one anymore, as I said), I order one of two things: broccoli beef or sesame chicken with friend rice. It’s not healthy, but it tastes good. And the bonus that comes with it: the fortune cookie!
I have been saving these on my desk for some time now, and periodically look them over. What I have discovered is the messages come in several categories, such as actual predictions, advice for the short term, descriptions of me that I love and hope are true, a couple that I totally disagree with as far as describing me, and the balance are kind of common sense.
And so for lack of anything better to talk about today, here are the messages from my fortune cookies over the last several years.
The common sense messages:
- Fear is interest paid on a debt you may not owe. (That’s a good one. I would like to substitute “worry” for “fear” as that is one of my biggest problems.)
- Things are not always what they seem. (Absolutely! Sometimes they’re something else. See “worry” above.)
- Action takes precedence over words. Can you do it? (I hope my actions back up my words!)
- Don’t forget to do good deeds as you accumulate wealth. (I might add, “or any other time.”)
- Example is better than advice. (I try not to give any of the latter, but hope my life offers the former, in a good way.)
- Where there is a will, there’s a way. (Or as my dad used to say, “Where there’s a will, there are relatives.”)
- One old friend is better than two new ones. (Can’t go with this one, but will quote my old Girl Scout song here, “One is silver and the other gold.”)
- A person is not wise simply because one talks a lot. (True that!)
- Now is a good time to finish up old business.
- Channel your energy into something positive.
- Now is a good time to finish up old tasks.
Looking at number one and number three, it seems recycling is happening in fortune cookies. Recycling is always good!
- Good news will come to you by mail. (It did several times. Thank you Sr. Aunt Carolyn!)
- Happy life is just in front of you. (And behind me, beside me, all around me. Thank you, God, for Steve!)
- You will have many friends when you need them. (Thank you for Facebook! I always find encouragement there.)
- Lucky you make this choice. Everything comes out for the best. (Strange syntax, but I appreciate the message. I try to make wise choices.)
- Pleasure awaits your company. (Here is the one where “in bed” added at the end makes me smile lasciviously!)
- For greater returns, avoid being too risky this week. (I am personally conservative with family and business finances, so this is sound advice.)
- Your next business venture will be very profitable. (If you need printing, check out autoprintomaha.com)
Things that DO NOT describe me:
Actually I got the same one twice – You like participating in competitive sports. I must have gotten someone else’s cookie here. 🙂
And here are my favorites. Humbly, humbly, I do hope I look like this to others:
- You take an optimistic view of life.
- You have the ability to analyze and solve any problem.
- You have great physical powers and an iron constitution.
- You have musical talents. Make them known.
- You constantly struggle for self-improvement.
- You are vigorous in words and action.
- Generosity and perfection are your everlasting goals.
- You have a natural grace and great consideration of others.
- You have an active mind and a keen imagination.
- You are a person of strong sense of duty.
- You are an exciting and inspiring person.
- You have a deep appreciation of the arts and music.
I don’t need fortune cookies to help me get through the day. I know who I am in God’s eyes and that is enough for me. But I can’t help smiling when I open these up and read them as I enjoy the sweet treat of the crisp cookie. I think it would be a great ministry to be the one who puts those encouraging messages into someone else’s dessert.
Besides, now I know my lucky numbers, too!
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10…